Monday, April 26, 2010

Reading Poetry

Since discovering that April is "Poetry Month" I've found myself reading quite a few poems aloud to Grace. From the much loved books from my childhood to "new" library books, reading poetry to her has been a treat.


This afternoon while relaxing under our oak tree, we read "The Wonder Book", written by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and illustrated by Paul Schmid. Grace found many of the poems to be downright funny. When we reached the book's end she had difficultly choosing a favorite poem, saying, "I loved them all too much".


Then there was the discovery of her name (the fact that it was associated with pancakes made it even better) in one of the poems from "Where the Sidewalk Ends" by Shel Silverstein. (this is one of the many wonderful books that my parents saved from my childhood)


Even Sophie seemed a bit interested in the poetry books - perhaps for different reasons than Grace and I.

So go ahead and take the time to read some poetry this month - you won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment