Monday, October 19, 2009

Baked Oatmeal

When we awoke this morning it was a cool forty-four degrees outside - perfect oatmeal eating weather if you ask me (Dean and Grace have another opinion). I found a yummy recipe for baked oatmeal several months back from the "King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking" cookbook. Since then I've tweaked the original recipe to my liking. On warm and cold mornings alike I can be found with a bowl full of it in my hands at breakfast time.


Baked Oatmeal

1/2 cup steel-cut oats
1 TBSP butter
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup fresh/frozen/dried fruit
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 egg
1/2 cup buttermilk or milk
1/2 tsp vanilla

Bring the water and butter to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove the pan from the heat and add the steel-cut oats, cover and let sit for 20 minutes. In the meantime combine the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add the steel-cut oats to the bowl, stirring well. Place the mixture in a greased 8x8 pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

I hope you enjoy this tasty oatmeal as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment